Guns bark out west - Gang leader among those killed

March 24, 2020

A reputed gang leader was shot and killed by a lone gunman in Montego Bay on Sunday. Police say the deceased, identified as 25-year-old Ricoy Smith, otherwise called 'Smurf', of Hugga Lane in Norwood, St James, was the leader of the Hugga Lane gang, which has been operating out of the Norwood area.

He was also a person of interest in a double murder investigation.

Reports by the police are that about 5:10 p.m., Smith and two other men were travelling in a motor car along Jimmy Cliff Boulevard.

On reaching the vicinity of the Montego Club Hotel, a man armed with a handgun who was travelling in another vehicle, pulled up beside them and opened fire.

Smith and his two companions stopped the vehicle along the side of the roadway, and all three men ran towards the hotel.

But the gunman gave chase, and after catching up with Smith, shot him multiple times. He then made his escape in the waiting motor car.

Smith was taken to hospital, where he was pronounced dead upon arrival.

The police were summoned, and swift action led to several roadblocks being set up within the township, which led to the alleged shooter, and the driver being captured.

Their identities are being withheld pending further investigation.

Suspects into custody

Meanwhile, the Westmoreland police have taken two suspects into custody, in connection with a double murder in Bog district last Sunday.

The deceased have been identified as 45-year-old Rohani Watson, labourer, and 28-year-old Swayne Dobson, of Kilmarnock, also in Westmoreland. Another man was also injured.

Reports by the Savanna-la-Mar police are that about 7 p.m., the three men were among a group of persons at a car wash, when they were approached by armed men, who opened fire hitting them.

The gunmen then escaped in the area on foot, while residents in the community summoned the police.

The wounded men were rushed to hospital, where Dobson and Watson were pronounced dead, and the other man admitted in serious condition.

Following a series of raids in the parish, police captured two men. One man is still at large.

Other News Stories